How to Make a Great Pie Better
If you visit NanaHood often you know I love desserts. I’m one of those people who can skip the main meal and go straight to the sweet stuff!
With Easter just around the corner I’m menu planning and I ran across a great idea from my friends at Marie Callendar’s
- Use one of Marie Callender’s double crust fruit pies (Apple, Cherry, Peach, Razzleberry orBlackberry).
- Ingredients needed: 1 additional pie crust, flour, egg, milk, and Turbinado sugar.
- Choose your favorite flower, bunny or other spring-themed cookie cutter.
- Using cold dough, cut out the decorative dough pieces.
- Brush milk on the back of the decorative dough piece and apply to the pie individually, pressing gently, and starting at the outside edge. Allow the pieces to overlap each other slightly and vary the angle of the pieces. Work toward the center of the pie in concentric circles.
- To make the crust stand out, brush a beaten egg over top the decorations. For additional “sparkle”, sprinkle the Turbinado sugar on top in the last ten minutes of baking.
- Bake as usual. You may need to bake it slightly longer than the directions indicate, due to the extra crust.
- Enjoy with guests!
Delicious with ice cream or whip cream or both!
Disclaimer: Views expressed here are my own and I wasn’t paid to share this!