Last night was a big night at our house. In case you didn’t know it was the premiere of season #3 of Duck Dynasty. As the mom of 4 boys who loves sports, ESPN has been the channel of choice for years at our house. If I want to watch Dancing With The Stars or NCIS I usually go to my room. The one show we can all agree on is Duck Dynasty.
My husband liked it first, so much that I would walk through the room and hear the same lines over and over. “Haven’t you already seen this one,” I asked. “Yes,” he would answer, “but it’s still funny.”
“What’s Si up to this time?” I asked.
“He’s eating racoon poop.”
Okay, you just have to watch the show to understand why that’s so funny.
A Different Kind of Reality Television
Here are a few reasons why I think the show is so popular.
1. It’s refreshing to see a show where the family members obviously love and respect each other.
2. They are a praying, God-fearing, church-going people. When’s the last time you saw a reality television show where the family prayed together? I can’t think of one, if you can let me know.
3. There’s no cursing or nudity. The most risqué thing that goes on is Phil reminding Miss Kay of her Biblical duties as a wife and her telling Phil that “Cleanliness is next to Godliness and that he has to take a bath and de-stink if he wants her attention. It works, Phil bathes and Miss Kay says, “And that, ladies, is how it’s done.”
4. Uncle Si is one of those people you love to love because he’s just a little bit crazy- in a good way. Miss Kay says, “If he were a dog we’d have to put him down.” I wouldn’t go that far but he is different. For me the highlight of the season opener was Si going to purchase a hunting dog and coming home with a poodle. Did you know poodles were retrievers? Me either!
5. The men are men and the women are women. I don’t think I need to explain that one.
6. Watching my husband watch the show and smile and laugh makes me, “Happy, Happy, Happy.” Life is short and some days are intense. It’s nice to share a laugh with someone you love.